Currently Visiting » Quinn-direct Home » Car Insurance » Frequently Asked Questions
Amend your Motor Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions

View All FAQs

Or view FAQs about:


  • Who can drive my car?
    The policyholder and any driver named on the Certificate of Insurance, provided they hold a valid licence to drive the vehicle. (Subject to the terms and conditions of the policy).
  • Will the contents of my vehicle be covered, e.g. stereo, shopping etc?
    We cover radio-receiving or transmitting equipment, audio equipment, electronic navigation or radar detection equipment permanently fixed to the vehicle, up to 5% of the vehicle value before the accident happened, or £500, whichever is lower. Personal possessions such as handbags, shopping etc are not covered, so please do not leave them in the car!
  • Am I covered to drive other cars?
    If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover the policyholder for your liability to other people while you are driving any other private motor car which you do not own or have not hired or leased. This benefit applies to full licence drivers only. We will only cover you if:
    • The vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to you/them under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    • You currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
    • The use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of insurance;
    • Cover is not provided by any other insurance;
    • You have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
    • The vehicle is in a roadworthy condition;
    • You still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged beyond cost-effective repair; and
    • Your occupation is not restricted by our acceptance criteria.
    • You must be 25 years of age. Age is based on your age at the inception/renewal date of your policy.

    This extention applies while being driven within the territorial limits and only to private passenger vehicles. It does not include:
    • Vans;
    • Car-Vans;
    • Jeep-Type vehicles with no seats in the back; or
    • Vans adapted to carry passengers.

    For full details please refer to policy booklet, Section 2.

    If you are in any doubt as to whether the benefit applies to your policy, please contact us on 0333 300 0888 or e-mail
  • Is windscreen cover available?
    Yes. You can select windscreen cover on your policy for only £20. This will cover you for two claims in the year, up to a total value of £350. Claiming for a new windscreen will not affect your no claims bonus if you opt for this cover.

    You will have a reduced excess of £60 to pay if you claim on your windscreen cover. If a repair is done the excess is waived. For Full details please refer to the policy booklet, Section 3.
  • What should I do if I damage my windscreen?
    You need to call the 24-hour windscreen helpline on 0845 350 3700. You will be asked for your policy reference number.
  • Does my policy include breakdown cover?
    Yes. If you cannot drive the vehicle as a result of a breakdown, we will arrange and pay for:

    1. one hour’s labour at the roadside or at your home; and
    2. towing the vehicle to the nearest competent repairer or to a garage of your choice, within 25 miles of where your vehicle broke down.

    Completing the journey

    If the repairs cannot be completed where the vehicle broke down and you are away from home (at least 2 miles), we can arrange and pay up to £100 for one of the following.

    In England, Scotland and Wales (including the Isle of Man and Channel Islands)

    1. Transport for you and your passengers to your intended destination within the territorial limits; or
    2. use of a replacement vehicle for up to 48 hours while repairs are being carried out; or
    3. bed-and-breakfast-only accommodation for one night only while repairs are being carried out.

    If the vehicle is repaired, we will provide the cost of public transport for you to collect the vehicle.

    In the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland

    1. A replacement car for up to 48 hours, up to £100.
    2. If the car cannot be repaired before the departure date, we will cover the cost of towing the car to the port you are leaving from, up to £250.

    The help provided depends on the options available to us at the time. Depending on the incident, we will decide what is the most suitable form of help. If you do not accept this decision, we will not pay more than the cost of the help we recommended. Please refer to the policy booklet for more details.
  • What should I do if I need to use my Breakdown Assistance?
    You need to call the 24-hour breakdown assistance helpline on 0844 338 5550 or 0818 270 166 (if calling from the Republic of Ireland). You will be asked for your policy reference number.
  • What is legal cover?
    Legal Cover provides up to £50,000 for legal costs to recover uninsured losses in connection with a non fault claim, e.g. accident repair costs if you don’t have comprehensive cover, your excess, vehicle hire charges, injury compensation.

    It also provides a 24 hour legal helpline which gives you free confidential advice for any personal legal problem (under EU law). Legal cover is optional on all policies and costs £22 for the year. Please refer to the policy booklet for more details.


  • What is a no-claims bonus?
    A no-claims bonus is a discount which you earn by holding a policy in your own name without any claims. It builds up in years, so the more years you drive without any claims, the bigger your discount will be, up to a maximum of 5 years discount.
  • What is a protected no claims bonus?
    If you have 4 or more years no claims bonus, you can opt to protect your discount. This allows you to have one claim in the insurance year, and still keep your maximum no claims bonus. If you have a second claim in the same year, your bonus will be reduced as follows:

    1 year reduces to zero
    2 years reduces to zero
    3 years reduces to zero
    4 years reduces to 1 year
    5 or more years reduces to 2 years

    If you have a third claim in the same insurance year, your bonus will be reduced to 0 years.

    If you choose not to protect your no claims bonus, you will not lose all of your discount in the event of one claim in the insurance year. Instead, your bonus will be stepped back, as follows:

    1 year reduces to zero
    2 years reduces to zero
    3 years reduces to zero
    4 years reduces to 1 year
    5 or more years reduces to 2 years

    If two or more claims arise in any period of insurance, we will reduce your no claims bonus to zero at your next renewal.

  • What is the no-claims bonus acceptance criteria?
    If the premium we quoted you includes a no claims bonus discount you must send us proof of this to avoid the discount being removed.

    If your discount has been earned with another insurer, it must have been earned on a private motor or commercial vehicle policy in the past two years,within Ireland, UK, all EU countries, USA, Bermuda, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.

    The discount can only be used on one policy at any one time.

    You can email a photograph or copy to, fax it to us on 02866 347007, or post it to us at 3 Carran Business Park, Lawnakilla Way, Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh, BT74 4RZ. Remember to write your policy or reference number clearly on any documents you send to us.
  • What documents can I use to show proof of my no claims bonus?
    If the premium we quoted you includes a no claims bonus discount you must send us proof of this to avoid the discount being removed.

    If your discount has been earned with another insurer, it must have been earned on a private motor or commercial vehicle policy in the past two years,within Ireland, UK, all EU countries, USA, Bermuda, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.

    The discount can only be used on one policy at any one time.

    You can email a photograph or copy to, fax it to us on 02866 347007, or post it to us at 3 Carran Business Park, Lawnakilla Way, Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh, BT74 4RZ. Remember to write your policy or reference number clearly on any documents you send to us.
  • I am using my No Claims Bonus on one car, and now I want to insure a second car. Will I get any discount?
    Your No Claims Bonus can only be used on one car at a time. This means if you are insuring a second car for the first time, you will start with 0 years no claims bonus, and will start to earn a second no claims bonus on this second car.
  • Can I earn a No Claims Bonus as a Provisional Licence holder?
    Yes. As long as the policy is in your own name, you will start to earn a No Claims Bonus straight away, regardless of which licence type you hold.


  • When will I receive my documents?
    All documents are issued by standard post. We ask you to allow 3-4 working days for delivery of your documents, although very often they will arrive sooner. If for any reason you have not received your documents within this time, please call us on 0333 300 0888 and we will check when your documents were issued.
  • Am I insured to drive, even though I have not received my documents?
    If you have just started a new policy, or you have made an amendment to an existing policy, we will need to issue you new documents by post. Your cover will start from the date and time you have selected, so you will be insured to drive whilst waiting on your documents.

    Please keep your policy reference number with you when you are driving, as if you are stopped this will make it easier for the police to confirm your cover.
  • I need to tax my car. Do I need my insurance documents?
    Yes. In order to tax your vehicle in your local tax office or post office, you will need to produce your original certificate of insurance. If you have lost your documents, please contact us on 0333 300 0888 so we can issue new documents.

    You may be able to buy your motor tax online. To check if you can do this, you can visit for further details.


  • What if my licence type changes from provisional to full?
    If your licence changes from a provisional licence to a full licence we will reassess your policy and there will be an increase in premium in the majority of cases. This is due to the increased risk associated with newly qualified drivers.

    When you are a provisional licence holder you drive accompanied by a qualified driver who is experienced. When you pass your test, you are a fully qualified driver who can drive unaccompanied but have little experience.
  • My licence was not issued in the UK or Ireland. Can I still insure my car with Quinn-direct?
    We will insure full licence drivers whose licence was issued in Ireland, the UK, or the EU. We will also accept a full licence from South Africa, Australia, South Korea, Japan, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and Iceland.

    We will also insure those with an International Driving Permit, which is valid for one year from the date of issue. Please note that a provisional licence will only cover you to drive in the country in which it was issued.
  • I am waiting to receive my licence. Can I still insure my car with Quinn-direct?
    If you are waiting to receive your first provisional licence, you must wait until you have the licence before you can buy your insurance. You can still get a quote and we can cover you instantly once you have received your licence so you can start learning straight away!

    If you have passed your driving test, but have not yet received your full licence, you can purchase your insurance as a full licence holder.

Payment options (including Direct Debit)

  • I want to pay for my policy using the easy monthly payment plan, but I do not have a bank account in my own name / my bank account does not accept Direct Debit. Can I still pay monthly?
    Yes. If you do not have a bank account in your own name which accepts Direct Debit, we can accept monthly payments from a bank account in the name of the Policyholder’s spouse / civil partner, their parent, or their son / daughter.

    If you wish to set up a Direct Debit from any of these accounts, we must receive a signed Direct Debit mandate from the account holder within 14 days of cover commencing. If the bank account is in the Policyholder’s own name, we can accept a paperless mandate.
  • I want to pay my insurance in monthly instalments but I do not have a credit or debit card to pay the deposit. Can I use somebody else's card?
    Yes, providing you have the cardholder's permission.
  • What is a paperless mandate?
    Quinn-direct operate a Scheme called DD+ in association with the Banking Industry whereby Bank Account and Sort Code details can be captured at source without the Customer having to physically sign a Direct Debit mandate form.

    In order to avail of the DD+ process the policyholder must be the account holder of the account to be debited and therefore the payer and the account type provided must be able to handle Direct Debits.

    If you are not the account holder, or if more than one person is required to authorise payment from this account, you cannot avail of this option. If the account is held in joint names you can still proceed as long as only one person's signature is needed for sign-off.

    If you agree to continue with the DD+ process Quinn-direct will send out a confirmation notice which will include the following:
    • Account name
    • Account number
    • Day of the month to be debited
    • Date of first collection
    • Amount to be debited
    • Frequency of collection

    If you wish to avail of the paperless mandate, you can do so by selecting Yes when buying your policy online, or over the telephone.

    If you wish to set up a direct-debit using a bank account which is in the name of the Policyholders spouse, civil partner, parent or child, we can still accept the payments, but we will need the account holder to sign a mandate, which we will send to you.

    Non-return of mandate will result in the cancellation of your policy.
  • Can I change the date that my instalments are collected from my bank account?
    Yes. We can then change your collection date up to 14 days either side of the existing due date, up to 28th of the month. Your instalments will then be collected on the same date of every month.

    It is important to note that we apply for an instalment 3 days before the due date. If you wish to change your instalment date throughout the insurance year, you must contact us 7 days before the instalment is due. To change your instalment date mid-term, contact us on 0333 300 0888.
  • Can I pay my policy in full throughout the year, and will I still get charged the Direct Debit service charge?
    If you are paying your policy by monthly Direct Debits, you can pay your policy in full at any stage throughout the year. The Direct Debit service charge will only be applied to your premium for as long as you are availing of the Direct Debit option, so you can save money by paying your policy off early. To make an early settlement payment, contact us on 0333 300 0888.
  • If I wish to pay by direct debit, will you carry out a credit check and what does that mean for me?
    We may complete a credit check on you when you apply for direct debit payment option. You should note the following points if opting for direct debit payment method:

    • We may carry out checks at any stage in the process of setting up the policy even if payment has been made.
    • By completing a quote / incepting the policy you are confirming that you are aware we may complete a credit check on you/account holder.
    • The direct debit facility may be withdrawn if the credit check indicates you fail to meet our criteria.
    • These checks may be recorded but won't affect your credit standing.
    • The credit score/rating is provided by Experian who are an approved supplier of financial information.
    • Further details are available on request.
  • I am 17. Can I pay by monthly instalments?
    Monthly Payments are not available to people under the age of 18, unless the credit agreement is with an individual who is over 18 (i.e. a parent paying for the insurance).
  • Will your credit checks affect my credit rating?
    All routine checks of your credit report are logged by the credit agency so you can see them and check them. Each search footprint will show the name of the organisation that carried out the search, the reason for the check and when it took place. Importantly though, checks registered as "insurance quotation" will have no impact on your credit rating at all.

Accidents and Claims

  • What happens if I'm involved in an accident?
    • You should notify the Police immediately
    • Note the insurance details of the Third Party involved.
    • Note the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any independent witnesses.
    • Do not admit liability
    • Contact our 24 hour claims helpline on 0845 351 1210

    We will then assign you a personal claims handler, and deal with your claim as quickly and as hassle free as possible.

    Had an accident Abroad? What next?

    To report the claim call (+353) 4943 24000

    To view the details of our appointed claims representatives please go to
  • What is a policy excess?
    The first amount of any claim you must pay. We pay the balance.
  • How much is the policy excess?
    Please refer to your policy schedule for details of your policy excess.
  • What happens if my car is written off?
    We will pay you the market value of the vehicle at the time of the accident but not more than the value specified in the Schedule of Insurance. If your vehicle is less than 12 months old and the cost of repairs will be more than 60% of the manufacturer’s list price, including taxes, or it is stolen and not recovered, we will replace it with a new vehicle of the same make and model. However, we will not pay for a replacement vehicle if the replacement cost is more than the value shown in the schedule.

    We will only do this if a replacement vehicle is available and anyone who has an interest in the vehicle agrees. If a replacement vehicle is not available, we will pay the market value of the vehicle immediately before the loss happened, as long as it is not more than the value in the schedule.

Existing Customers

  • What should I do if I want to make a change to my policy e.g. get another car?
    You can make many changes to your policy using our online service (MyQuinn-direct).

    These changes include:
    • Add Driver,
    • Change of Vehicle,
    • Change of Contact Details,
    • Change of Registration Number

    You will be free to get quotes for any of the above changes to your policy at anytime, and we now offer the facility to renew your policy online also!

    You will need the username and password we provided you when you got your quote or started your policy. If you have any difficulty, you can follow the help guidelines in the login process. Alternatively, you can contact us by phone to make any changes on 0333 300 0888 between the hours of 8am and 7pm Mon-Fri, and 8am-4pm Sat.
  • How do I know what my renewal premium will be?
    Your renewal notice is automatically issued approximately 30 days before your renewal date. We will post this directly to you, and you can also view your renewal details online using MyQuinn-direct. This will enable you to renew your policy online.
  • What happens if I want to cancel my policy?
    You may cancel your policy at any time by notifying us in writing and returning your certificate of insurance. If you cancel your policy you will be charged an administration fee of £55 and a charge for the time your policy was active.

    Any amount under £20 will not be refunded. If you cancel your policy following a claim or loss in the current period of insurance there will be no refund of premium. If you cancel your policy after the first 14 days we will not refund the optional windscreen cover.

    Please refer to your policy booklet for further details.

    To cancel your policy, please contact us on 0333 300 0888.


  • How can I get a cheaper premium?
    At Quinn-direct, we will always quote you our best possible price based on the details you provide us. There are ways of reducing your premium, which can be found in our Money Saving Tips section.
  • How does my address affect my premium?
    The price of the policy is based on the risk. This is calculated on all details, such as licence type, driving history, vehicle type, value and location. Some areas are proven to have more claims than others. This may work in your favour, as if you live in an area which has a history of low claims, this will be reflected in a lower premium.

    Unfortunately, if you live in an area with a history of higher claims, this will also be reflected in your premium. Incorrect information could invalidate all or part of your policy. If you find your address is giving you a higher premium, why not check out our Money Saving Tips to see if you can reduce the premium?

Gender Directive


  • How can I contact Quinn-direct?
    Phone 0333 300 0888 (UK Lo-Call)

    E-mail us at

    or write to:
    3 Lawnakilla Way,
    Carran Business Park,
    Co. Fermanagh,
    BT74 4RZ.
  • My vehicle has modifications, or I am thinking of having it modified. Will this affect the price?
    This will depend on which modification you have or are thinking about. Many cosmetic alterations, such as alloy wheels, or bodykits, may not affect the premium. Any modifications which may affect the performance of the vehicle are more likely to affect the price you pay.

    Incorrect information could invalidate all or part of your policy. Why not get a online, or for certain modifications, you will need to call us on 0333 300 0888 to get your quote. Remember to have all modifications completed at a professional garage, and that you have a valid MOT on your modified vehicle.
  • Can I insure a car which isn’t registered in my name?

    If the vehicle you want to insure is registered in a leased company name or your spouse/civil partner/common law partner or parent’s name then you can still insure it with you as the policyholder. If you are declaring yourself as the policyholder then you must be the main driver of the vehicle.

    You should state during the quotation stage that you are not the registered owner of the vehicle. You should also check your documents carefully when you receive them to ensure you are happy with all the information we hold.

    If this or any information is not declared correctly it will affect your right to make a claim on the policy.

  • What is Continuous Insurance Enforcement and what do I need to do?

    The Department for Transport have introduced Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE). This new scheme will compare vehicles on the Motor Insurance Database MID with DVLA/DVANI records to identify potentially uninsured vehicles. From 2011, if there is no record on the MID showing your vehicle is insured, and you have not declared it as ‘off road’, you will receive a letter warning you that you could face a fine, prosecution, and the vehicle could also be clamped, seized and ultimately, destroyed.

    This new approach is being introduced to protect honest motorists and do even more to prevent people from driving without insurance.

    What do I need to do?

    The good news is, if you are insured with Quinn-direct, there is no need to worry. Quinn-direct currently upload your policy details to the MID, however, it would be good to get into the habit of checking that your vehicle details are correct on the MID. This will avoid the inconvenience of you being unnecessarily contacted or worse, stopped by the police. So if you check and your vehicle details are not correct, then you should contact us on 0333 300 0888 to get the MID updated correctly.

Remember we're here to help. If you have any other questions, just ask. You can contact us on 0333 300 0888 or e-mail us at

We appreciate all comments, feedback and suggestions. Help us to improve our service, or just let us know what you think.

Sign up to amend your policy online

Policy Documents


Car Insurance Information

Useful Links